Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a large amount of tollway infringements that i have…

Customer Question
I have a large amount...
I have a large amount of tollway infringements that i have been attempting to pay off over the last year or so but i honestly can not afford it. I have just had a meeting with a sherrif officer and they say i will need to go to court if i can not afford to pay them off. I believe the best option for me is to try and pay my fines off with community service. i believe the court can offer this option. what is the best way to go about this? The sherrif also said the maximum penalty is jail time, other options are community service.   I am 25, have never had any criminal history i just over a period of about 12 months let my fines get out of hand then basically ignored it. i do not incur fines anymore but i need to clear these off my shoulders and the only way i can see i am able to do this at the moment is with community service.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
ok thanks for the input. So assuming a do go to court, i mean i am a standard citizen, just with a stupid amount of fines. how likely is it that the gaol part is an option? i mean there are people that commit actual crimes that hurt people that get suspended sentences or no criminal conviction. i mean it really is not in the same catagory. so i guess my question is how do i get the best chance of the court issuing community service rather than other repayment plans or well jail but yeah. the total amount of fines with all the penalties comes to about 24K. its obviously not that amount of fines but with all the penalties thats what it roughly comes 2. how do i best get the result i want? do i need representation? what do i say to make this the best result for me?