Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Question - I belong to a non-profit organisation as a volunteer,

Customer Question
Question:- I belong to a...
Question:- I belong to a non-profit organisation as a volunteer, & am on the committee. Due to the minutes of the meetings not reflecting the actual occurences at the meetings, I decided to bring my tape recorder into the last meeting to record the meeting. The vice President was aware I was recording, as I told him, however, what I really need to know, is whether my actions are any different to the admin officer recording every meeting without announcing that the meeting is being recorded, & the minutes thereafter, do not show a notation that the meeting was recorded.
Where do I stand in this scenario?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
You need to disclose to everyone you are recording the proceedings or you could be charged under the Listening Devices and Surveillance Act.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. As such, if my answer has been helpful or informative to you, even if it wasn't necessarily what you wanted to hear, please hit the Accept button.

Edited by Alex on 6/16/2010 at 9:52 AM EST

Fine, I already knew that. I certainly weas aware. However, you did not rreply to the fact that the Admin officer is placing a recorder on the desk & recording the meeting, without advising any of us that it is being recorded, nor do the minutes of the meeting reflect that the meeting was recorded, and that the tape is going to be kept. I find it difficult to believe that it is possible to keep a recording on a digital tape recorder.

HYow does my action differ from the action of the admin officer?

It doesn't, the Admin officer could also be charged under the same legislation.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.
Brisbane-Lawyer

I have several further questions pertaining to the recordin.

1. How long does a recording of a meeting have to be kept?

2. Can digital device recordings be actually kept?

3. If a recording was made of an AGM, and there are discrepancies in the minutes of the AGM, can a member request that the recording, (even though illegal, as not advised to all the members present that they were being recorded) be made available for verification?

4. if the tape cannot be produced, whether it be for the AGM or the regular meeting minutes, what action can be taken, if we know that the tape recorder was actually present, but we were not advised?

I am awaiting a reply to the above question
[QUOTE] 1. How long does a recording of a meeting have to be kept? [/QUOTE]
There is no predetermined period under the legislation.

[QUOTE] 2. Can digital device recordings be actually kept? [/QUOTE]
Yes, so long as everyone was made aware of the fact that the recording was made, it can be kept

[QUOTE] 3. If a recording was made of an AGM, and there are discrepancies in the minutes of the AGM, can a member request that the recording, (even though illegal, as not advised to all the members present that they were being recorded) be made available for verification? [/QUOTE]
If the members at the AGM pass a motion allowing that, yes.

[QUOTE] 4. if the tape cannot be produced, whether it be for the AGM or the regular meeting minutes, what action can be taken, if we know that the tape recorder was actually present, but we were not advised? [/QUOTE]
You can report the incident to the police, and they have the discretion on whether to lay charges or not.