Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am the owner/operator of a Driving School and have devised…

Customer Question
I am the owner/operator of...
I am the owner/operator of a Driving School and have devised a Driver Education Course which I am currently presenting to 5 local High Schools. As well as classroom sessions there are practical sessions using a buggy and drink driving glasses. I am thinking of patenting this course in order that my competitors cannot copy the idea. Is this a feasible idea? How do i go about it and how much will it cost?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/15/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] I am thinking of patenting this course in order that my competitors cannot copy the idea. Is this a feasible idea? [/QUOTE]
You can't patent this. Patents are for inventions and new technologies.

What you can do though, is publish your Drivers Education Course which would have the effect of copyrighting.

Brisbane-Lawyer
Is there any other way to copyright the course other than publishing?
Yes, by placing a C with a circle around it on all written materials that you create. When you distribute such materials to students, ie. course outline, driving tests/quizzes, etc. make sure on the front of every page the C is prominently displayed in the top righthand corner.

So if a test is five pages long, for instance, it would only need the C with a circle around it on the front page.

Edited by Alex on 6/15/2010 at 1:41 AM EST