Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother wants to divorce from my step father. We want the…

Customer Question
My mother wants to divorce...
My mother wants to divorce from my step father. We want the split to be as painless as possible. He has asked for a $100 k which my mother does not have. She has been solely paying for all bills/ mortgage ect. But he has not allowed her to even have a bank account and has little or close to no information about the financial situation of the house, even a basic bank account. He has totally manipulated her, mostly on a mental capacity.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/14/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
What is your question?
We are not sure what step to take to start the divorce proceedings
What property and assets do each of them have?
The House -we are not sure what the current value is - name is XXXXX XXXXX names as per deed
The funiture
Mum has a insurance policy which is avaialble after 2012 - $50K
Car - stepfather owns
My stepfather has an account we are not sure how much money he has
Thanks for that.

Basically there are two orders your mother needs here. First, a divorce order, and secondly, a property splitting order.

Regarding the divorce order, she needs to be separated from her husband for 12 months before she can apply for this.

As for the property division application, this needs to be done through a lawyer using an application brought in the Family Court of Australia. Before doing so, however, she should arrange for a mediation by calling 1800 050 321. This is a free government run service.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting
Brisbane-Lawyer
As both my sister and I are living with my mum with the split be 50/50 even though my mother has been the only one paying for the house for most of their married lives?
The court rarely splits things 50/50, contrary to popular belief.

Instead the court uses a complex 4 step formula to determine which spouse gets what. If your mother contributed more to the marriage, the court would take that into account, and it becomes more likely the Court would award her a greater share, perhaps 60/40 or 65/35.

Edited by Alex on 6/14/2010 at 4:16 AM EST