Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

hi there,i recently put a deposit on a car,signed a cooling…

Customer Question
hi there,i recently put a...
hi there,i recently put a deposit on a car,signed a cooling of period and other contracts.the cooling off period has passed but i have changed my mind about purchasing the car.can i still get out of the contract?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/13/2010
Solicitor: D. Coleman, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
D. Coleman
D. Coleman, Lawyer

Dear Sir,

Before I answer, can I ask which state you are in?

Kind Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX

Victoria

Dear Sir,

Unfortuantely, it is very unlikely that you will be able to rescind this contract because if the cooling off period has expired, the contract has entered into force and become binding. If there was a misrepresentation about the contract beforehand or you were induced to contract by fraud or duress this may be another issue but as you have not raised any of this on the information given here, the contract would be binding and you would be exposed to a claim for damages under the contract if you failed to perform your obligations under the contract which I assume to provide the purchase monies to the vendor. Let me know if you would like more information.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX