Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What exact statute law and common law cases cover the remedies…

Customer Question
What exact statute law and...
What exact statute law and common law cases cover the remedies and liability for a solicitor who makes misleading statements at a press conference on the morning of his/ her case? I know what covers misleading statements to the court mad by an acting solicitor.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/12/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
The Rules of Professional Conduct, which are rules created by the NSW Law Society which apply to all solicitors in NSW. The law society can provide you with a copy if you request one from them.
I have read the solicitor rules and have not found anything in it. I have also read the barrister rules and the looked through books on case law. What I want to know is whether the issue I mentioned previously, that is, the acting solicitor who makes a misleading statement to the press on the morning of his/ her case, is covered by any other statute law or common law case. Moreover by exact, I meant I want the statute rule number and actual common law case names. Thank you.
It would be covered by the general law of defamation, provided what this solicitor said was defamatory of someone.
Yes it was. It was said of another law firm. However, what section exactly in the defamation act would cover a solicitor making defamatory statements of another law firm?
This would not be covered under the Defamation Act.
Then what section of what act and/or what common law case would cover such action, that is, of the solicitor making misleading statements to the press, which were also defamatory to the law firm?