Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

my husband and i split last year and have just started divorce…

Customer Question
my husband and i split...
my husband and i split last year and have just started divorce proceedings, he has not paid the fiance he took out on a truck while we were still together and he has now hidden the truck outta of state so it cant be reposed. He has informed me the sheriff will be coming to my house to reposes goods for payment can this be true the loan was in his name alone although our house is still joint names but has just been put on the market and the loan company have his new address. i have 2 kids am and worried sick they will come here. i live in Australia
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/12/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] i have 2 kids am and worried sick they will come here. [/QUOTE]
Its unlikely the sheriff will come because he would only come if he has a Court order, and it would take them a while before they could get that.

I do, however, recommend you bring a property division application in the Family Court to finalize your financial affairs with this man.

Obviously you would need a lawyer to assist with this, but I may be able to recommend a good solicitor who could help if you want a recommendation. Just let me know if you're interested.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.
Brisbane-Lawyer

can they take my belongings such as tv if brought in my name only and i have docket to prove it we have decided on settlement and his soliciter is drawing up papers

No, they must first repossess the vehicle. Then they can only go after joint assets or assets in your husband's name only.