Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

How do I get my name off title deeds to a house

My wife and I who have since seperated, built a house together and I paid the mortgage for the first year. I also put part of my super into the house. We have since seperated and I want my name taken off the title. My wife is refinancing the house to pay me back the amount I put in. She is working full time and lives in the house. I am TPI with a disability pension and not allowed to work. She has been told that it will cost $5000 to have my name taken off the title if she does it. Would it be any cheaper if I started the ball rolling and did it off my own bat?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  davidhken replied 8 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Where are you located?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am located in Perth Western Australia, and the house/property is located in the same area
Expert:  Deborah Awyzio replied 8 years ago.
The potential costs for taking your name off the title are stamp duty payable on the transfer.

However if you enter into consent orders with your Wife, that provide for the property to be transferred to her, then you will be exempt from paying stamp duty.

The following is a link to the form you would have to complete and file in the Family Court of Western Australia

http://www.familycourt.wa.gov.au/_files/Form%2011%20Consent%20Orders%20010109.doc

The following is a link to information about completing the form

http://www.familycourt.wa.gov.au/_files/Consent%20Orders%20Kit%20010109.doc
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience