How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lillian DuRen Your Own Question
Lillian DuRen
Lillian DuRen, Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  B.Ec., M.I.R., LLB
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Lillian DuRen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I got married to an Autralian citizen back in October

Resolved Question:


I got married to an Autralian citizen back in October 2002 and migrated from Dubai, UAE to Sydney Australia, with spouse-resident visa.

My marriage didn't work out, I moved back to Dubai, permenantly in October 2004 and have not visited Sydney ever-since.

Being Muslim, we have gone through a divorce according to the Islamic Law. Would we be required go through any divorce formalities according to the Australian Law?

Please advise.

Many thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Lillian DuRen replied 8 years ago.
Do you have an Australian marriage certificate?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure whether i had an australian marriage certificate, however my residancy was granted to me on the grounds of marriage.


I was entitled to the health care benefits, used to pay tax...



Expert:  Lillian DuRen replied 8 years ago.

Dear Azra,


If you were definitely married in Dubai, then when you came to Australia, your then partner would have had to provide proof of marriage. An Australian citizen married in another country cannot have their marriage registered in NSW, or Australia.


Therefore, if there is no Australian marriage, then there are no divorce formalities you need to go through here in Australia.


I hope this answers your question.


Best wishes


Lillian DuRen and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you