How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lillian DuRen Your Own Question
Lillian DuRen
Lillian DuRen, Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 8
Experience:  B.Ec., M.I.R., LLB
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Lillian DuRen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would like to know the laws governing the naming of an illegitimate

Resolved Question:

Would like to know the laws and proceedures governing the naming of an illegitimate child born in Queensland, Australia relevant to the current year. This is with regard to either using the fathers or mothers last name for the newborn child.

Is it legal to use the fathers last name and if so what proceedure is entailed in doing this?

Wish to print this information for future reference so would like the reply emailed to me.

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Lillian DuRen replied 8 years ago.

There are no rules.

It is up to the parents of the child to decide what to name the child. If you want the child to have the father's surname, you can.


When the child is born the parents are required to register the birth with the Department of Justice & Attorney General. The form gives the Deparmtnet information such as date and place of birth, names of the child, child's parents, doctor or midwife who attended the birth.


The application forms can be obtained from hospitals, birthing centres, most magistrates courts offices and from the Brisbane registry of the Department


I hope this helps.

Lillian DuRen and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you