How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44900
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 years ago.
On the court date your boyfriend will be asked to tell the court if he is guilty or not guilty of the offence. He should have also been given a copy of the facts that the police are relying on to lay the charges against him.
If he is going to plead not guilty the court will then make an order for the police to give you bf a copy of the brief. This is all the statements the police have gathered from the victim and any other witnesses, photos of any injury the victim suffered and if he was admitted to hospital records from that admission. The Court will also make another date for your bf to go back and confirm if he is still pleading not guilty after he receives the brief,
If he does continue to plead not guilty the matter will be set down for a hearing and the court will want o know how many witnesses your boyfriend is calling and how many of the police witnesses he will require at the hearing to cross examine.
The hearing date the police will go first. When they have given all their evidence then your boyfirend will give his evidence and the magistrate asked to make a decision.
Your boyfriend should go and see a Solicitor and see whether there is any information that can be provided to the Police before the hearing that would convince them that they should drop the case.
I hope this is of assistance and if so please click on the accept button.

Leon and 3 other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you