Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I bought a second hand fridge and it keeps shorting out our…

Customer Question
I bought a second...

I bought a second hand fridge and it keeps shorting out our electricity, what could be causing this with the fridge

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

It is an LG 583 litre fridge freezer model LG -GR-S642aq not sure of age

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It’s my son’s fridge he thinks it’s the motherboard as it’s quite rusted and cracked

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
3/30/2018
AU Appliance Technician: JACUSTOMER-4sr8huev-,
 replied 3 months ago
JACUSTOMER-4sr8huev-

Hi, thanks for using JA. I'm Gavin and I'll do all I can to help you. Could you please tell me how long it takes from turning the power on to trip your electric.

Please ignore any pop up phone call requests they are auto generated from the site

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin,
As soon as I turn the safety switch back on it trips straight away, I have eliminated all other appliances it is only the fridge even tried plugging into a different power point and still trips
Regards
Glenda for son Adrian
 replied 3 months ago

Hi Glenda. It is possible that it is the circuit board but there are 2 other parts that are more likely to cause your fault. The first that I would check is the defrost element in the freezer. Unless you the correct test equipment the easiest way to check this is to disconnect it then plug the fridge freezer back in. To access the element you need to remove the drawers in the freezer and then remove the back panel. Once you have removed the back panel you will be able to it see it and disconnect its connections (I have attached a photo so you know what you are looking for)

The other is the compressor itself. It is located at the back of the appliance in the middle at the bottom. There is a black cover that clips on to it that when removed shows the connections all of the connections come off with the part they are connected to. Again disconnect this and turn on.

If You need any more help please click reply and I will be happy to help

Please remember to click on the stars to rate my help

Thank you

Gavin