Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an electrolux ewf 14742 and occasionally the

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an electrolux ewf 14742 and occasionally the start/pause button wont respond and machine will not start. All other buttons seem ok and respond.
I have checked the filter and cleaned but seemed ok, have unplugged and left it for a while, that hasn't worked. all other buttons work but start button the only one playing up. Then you can come back to it and it will work fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Electrolux is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Ewf 14742 I think it is 3 or 4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I dont know what is wrong with it yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
3/7/2018
AU Appliance Technician: JACUSTOMER-4sr8huev-,
 replied 4 months ago
JACUSTOMER-4sr8huev-
Hi, Welcome to JA I’m Gavin. I’m so sorry you’ve had to wait for your answer. I have come across the issue before if you still need assistance please reply and I’ll be happy to help you
Hi Gavin
Yes, I do still need assistance with this if you can help that would be great.
Thanks
 replied 4 months ago
Great, do you own a multimeter? Don’t worry if not there are other ways
Hi, I do have one in my toolbox but I will be honest I don’t really know how to use it.
 replied 4 months ago
That’s ok. If your able to send me a picture of it I can probably tell you what to do. Using a multimeter makes tracing the fault much easier
 replied 4 months ago

Sorry for the delay your reply didn’t flag up. I’ve received something I’ll open it now

replied 4 months ago

Got it thank you. If you click the dial 3 times to the first orange coloured setting that is the setting we need. Turn to that’s then place your leads together and you should get a reading of 0 or very close.

Hi. Late here now so will continue later. By the way, how much does this back and forth cost?
 replied 4 months ago

No problem. The chat is inclusive of what you agreed when you signed up there are no additional charges unless you request a premium service. I am on GMT time so we could possibly arrange a mutually beneficial time

Okay thanks
Hi. Are you still connected to this question?
 replied 4 months ago
I’m here. Sorry for the delay I have only just come online
Apologies, I am on Queensland Australia time so 10 hours ahead of GMT
 replied 4 months ago

Good Morning! Don't worry sometimes the timings can be a bit tricky. I'm available now if you're with the machine.

I am yes
 replied 4 months ago

Just refreshing my memory won't be a minute

replied 4 months ago

Sorry had someone call whilst I was reading.

If you try to start a cycle now does it work?

It Worked last night but not first time I had to leave and come back to, And no, it’s not working now when I put it onto a cycle
 replied 4 months ago

Ok. The reason it is intermittent is normally a low reading to earth / ground. Pull the plug out from the socket and we can test for this

Ok it’s pulled out of socket
 replied 4 months ago

If there is an on/off button make sure it is in the on position and turn the programme selector dial to the normal position

replied 4 months ago

sorry meant to say, normal position for the cycle you use

Okay, there is not an on off button but I have put it on a quick wash which is the one we use most frequently.
 replied 4 months ago

Great. You nee to turn your meter 3 clicks now to the first orange then touch the probes together to make sure they work. The display should read 0.something when together

00.0 or then 00.1
 replied 4 months ago

Perfect. now take the same readings from the earth / ground pin on the plug to the other pins and see what the readings are

I don’t seem to be getting any reading on those.
Only If I connect between live and neutral it reads 0.523
I’ve tried a few times and occasionally it briefly shows a reading but then immediately goes back to 0
 replied 4 months ago

is 0 what it displays when the probes are apart?

replied 4 months ago

Is that what it reads between the earth and either live or neutral

replied 4 months ago

Ahh your meters not going to be able to do the tests we need then sorry.

replied 4 months ago

I'll type you a list of common things you can check and do without a meter

replied 4 months ago

Remove the back panel to access motor.

Remove Motor and take off carbon brushes check for minimum 3/4 inch length on carbon

Clean any black carbon dust off motor (use an air compressor is you have one)

Try running earth to live test as above from body of motor to each connector pin

Try running earth to live test as above from body of heater ( located just above motor ) to the terminals on the left and right of the heater ( make sure you have removed the push connections first )

Let me know how you get on

Regards

Gavin

Ok
Hi, from what I have read this model has a brushless motor?
 replied 4 months ago
your right it is, I was messaging someone about a similar machine and mixed them up. Sorry about that.
How are you getting on with it?