Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Fridge is set at -1 which goes to -1 in the early morning…

Customer Question
My Fridge is set...

My Fridge is set at -1 which goes to -1 in the early morning but during the day time it goes between 2 to 5 but does not go to -1 until late at night.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Its 2 month old and the fridge is a keg king kegerator

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, is this normal with fridge not to go to its set temperature

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
I have got a reading from the digital display on the fridge first thing in the morning and the fridge reading was -1 and i poor some cider in a glass from the keg in side the fridge and put a thermonter in the glass and got a reading of -1 which is great but when the temperature of the day gets warmer the fridge can go up to 4 to 5 degree and stays like that until the temperature cools down at night it never goes back down to -1 in the afternoon.
Is this normal or do I have a problem with my fridge like maybe needs gass or the condenser is not working.
The fridge is ok when the temperature is about 21 degrees but when it goes to the high 20's it seems to struggle.
The fridge is under warranty but thay are saying it is fine but i dont think so.
When I drink by beer when it is -1 or 1 it is cold but as soon as the fridge goes to 4 or 5 degrees it is a big different in coldness.
Tell me if I am correct a fridge should be set at a set temperature like -1 and when the fridge reaches a certain temperature like 3 degrees the fridge should cut In until it reaches -1 and then cut out and it should do that all day long.
Am I right or wrong.
What could be the problem.
11/16/2017
AU Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 5 months ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

You are correct about the way it should cycle. During the day does it not run very much ? Also what is the temperature of the room or area where the unit is located during the day ?

It seems to be running all the time.
Out side temperature could go up to 30 degrees.
Its under cover no sun on it
I have been told from the bloke I brought it off that thay work in 35 degree days easly even if the fridge is outside side he told me if you are not careful it will freeze your beer.
If I put a glass of water in the fridge it will freeze the top of the glass but that is only if it is left over night.
It gets to -1 early in the morning when it is below the 20's degrees but when it gets to the low 20 to 30 degrees it gets warmer and never comes back To its set point which is set at -1.

This unit I believe has a condenser fan motor - back there close to the compressor - is it running. If it is , then they need to check the refrigerant charge and if that is OK , check the capacitor for a low capacity condition which means pinching shut the suction line and see if the compressor will pull a 20 inch Hg vacuum.

C​orrection - check the COMPRESSOR for a low capacity condition etc.

If you have no further questions please rate my answers - it's how I get paid. Thank you.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician