Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Australia Whitegoods

Gaggenau warming drawer not heating. Indicator light flashes

Customer Question
rapidly. I've checked the heating...
Gaggenau warming drawer not heating. Indicator light flashes rapidly. I've checked the heating element and thermal cutout but this is okay. Any suggestions? My gut feel is that it's probably related to the temperature sensor. But have no data to check this.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: First time :)
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly - I have been a service technician and usually can fix most things...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: About this problem? Not that i can think of.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
Except that I'm in Australia. we bought the appliance on line from an Italian company.
8/14/2017
AU Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 3 months ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi, I'm Daniel welcome to JustAnswer, Im reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily

Can you post the model number please.

WS461

Thanks for that.

If the heater and thermal cut out are both ok then its possibley the drawer switch at fault here. As in there at the back is a switch which when the drawer is closed it activates the switch and then it comes on. So you need to look inside the drawer at the back and there is the switch. You need to check this as see if faulty or the plastic switching has broken. If so then you need to replace the drawer switch.

So check that and see what you find and let me know.

I've checked the drawer switch and this is working.
Is there anything needed to reset the controller? Just wondering whether, even if i fix the fault, will I be able to get it going again without special equipment?

It shouldnt need special equipment to sort this. But if the drawer switch is working as is the heater and thermal cut out then all thats left is the main control switch. As there isnt much in these warming drawers so if the above is all fine then all thats left is the control switch im afraid.

I guess I also could have bought a bunch of spares and used the trial and error (or trial and pop!) method. But because I imported my appliances (and paid less than half of the local prices) the local distributor is not going to be exactly helpful. Parts will probably need to come from Europe, and if I bought every likely part it's going to cost more than the appliance is worth! So I was doing some google research - which led me to this website.I'm assuming that you have access to Gaggenau technical info? So to clarify my question to you: What fault condition is detected that causes the indicator light to flash? And if more than one possible failure - is there any troubleshooting process to isolate the specific problem? e.g measure voltage/resistance/continuity at x. Or maybe there's a schematic diagram you can provide so I can figure it out myself.The control switch is part of a pcb with a microcontroller. It's displaying the fault (fast flash) so it can't be totally dead. There is also another pcb at the rear connected to the drawer switch and temp sensor i think.
I was advised that this request would be passed to another expert but have heard nothing more. Is it still open? (My problem is not resolved and I have not received any worthwhile information up to this point)
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician