Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Australia Whitegoods

T some food in the oven recently and now cannot light the

oven. I have cleaned the...
t some food in the oven recently and now cannot light the oven. I have cleaned the inside of the oven but it will stilll,not light. Any advice would be good
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I bought it 12 months ago. Model number FGO54W. Serial number 08200691510020035
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes but depends on what is required
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I have cleaned the unit completely, the grill still is operable, the oven top is working, it's just the oven
6/17/2017
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the grill is operating, the issue is most likely with the ignition of the lower bake burner. This appliance has a two year warranty on it so it is under warranty still. Knowing this, are you wanting to risk voiding the warranty by attempting to repair it yourself?

This depends on how simple the resolve is. If it is quick and simple I would be happy to do it. If it is complicated then I would use the warranty

I would start by cleaning and verifying the wiring to the lower igniter wiring. If it is dirty, the path to ground may not be strong enough to allow proper spark.

Below the bottom plate in the oven is a spanned plate with a small gas line coming from the back of the oven. On the left side is a coated wire with an enamel collar on it. This wire seems to be severed. Should it be connected to anything?

Yes, that is likely to the igniter electrode, nice work! Can you see the small tab on the electrode where it goes?

Not really, I am feeling something on the underside of athe bake burner like a small hole. If this is not it I cannot see where else it would go

Can you post a picture of what you see?

That is the spark electrode. Is there a wire at the other end?

it is about 10 mm long
I apologise for drawing this out, it is the time differences between you and I and I also work full time so cannot check my emails until I arrive home.

The other end of that spark electrode should have a wire on it. The picture you sent is the part that sparks to light the burner. Is there a wire on the other end? Can you post a picture with a wider view of that area?

I will have to unscrew the bake burner to give you that view. I will have a go at it and get back to you

Thank you.

That's it, thank you. Remove that wire and set ot back in place and also clean the igniter tip and the burner area it sparks to with sand paper. Does it begin top spark after?

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, your a gem. The sand paper did the trick. Thank you so much for your assistance. Much appreciated

That is great news! I am sorry for all the delays in replies, I think you are 19 hours ahead of me. I am in the US in south central Montana. Thank you so much for your patience and your generosity, that is much appreciated!

Kelly, Appliance Technician