Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Australia Whitegoods

I have a 10 year old Amana xrss287bb side by side fridge

Customer Question
Hi I have a 10 year...
Hi
I have a 10 year old Amana xrss287bb side by side fridge that is not getting cold.
A few months back the coils in the freezer froze over so we pulled the panels off/ heated the ice off and found a disconnected wire - which after reconnection - all worked fine
Then we noticed the fridge slowly getting warmer - situation now is:
Ice in ice tray was slowly melting - so I emptied the tray - no new ice since I emptied
Last night I changed the defrost terminator - although old one tested O'K
Fridge still warm ( by this I mean it is above freezing in the freezer - the air pumping into the fridge side is still just cold enough to keep food ok)
Observation:
There is ice on the pipes coming onto the coils at rear of freezer although very light
The fan is working -
Not sure the compressor is working- it sounded like it clicked in last night a few times - yet fridge is still not cold-
Front panel ( which has been replaced twice ) seems to be doing all it should
The fridge doesn't have a defrost timer - I assume this function is carried out within the board?
Help !
Cheers David
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2016
AU Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Thank you. I will leave this to other experts to evaluate.

AU Appliance Technician: Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician

Hi

When you look at the coils inside the freezer at the back is there ice all the way down the evaporator unit or is the ice only part way round it?

Also if you feel the compressor at the back if you can is this hot to touch?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Daniel ,
There is only light frost on the coils - compressor sounds like it kicks in for 20 seconds or so then stops - I will check compressor heat at lunchtime - I am
Now at work

Ok to be honest this sounds like the compressor itself is the fault here.

If you feel the compressor and it is hot to touch then the compressor is the issue here. For this you will need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see what pressure its pumping at.

As if theres only light frosting on there but its not as cold as it should be then its usually a fault on the compressor that causes this fault im afraid, Sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure the compressor is hot at all - I will check at lunchtime - how can I check the compressor ? Currently it runs for a short time then stops -

To check just feel it and if its hot you will be able to feel it.

If its not hot then let me know.

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician