Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have installed a new kitchen. We have a Panasonic

Customer Question

I have installed a new kitchen. We have a Panasonic microwave oven NN-ST780S installed with a trim kit in a wall cupboard over a wall oven. The issue we have is that 600mm cupboards in Australia are literally 600mm wide outside dimension. This trim kit seems to require a 600mm internal opening as the oven itself has a very wide side cover that came with the trim kit. No one has ever pointed this out to us and we purchased it as being suitable for a "600mm wide cupboard". I have plenty of ventilation behind the microwave (about 130mm open at the top) so how much heat is expelled by the side vent? Can I take off the vent cover and fit it in with say 6mm clearance from the wall?
Another issue is that the cover does not cover the walls of the cupboard.Do you have any suggestions on what I can do
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You won't want to remove the vent cover, it is important to direct the air flow properly. The specs for installation are below.

1. The oven must be placed on a flat, stable surface. For correct operation, the oven must have sufficient air flow. Allow 15 cm of space on the top of the oven, 10 cm at the back, and 5 cm on both sides. If one side of the oven is placed flush to wall, the left side or top must not be blocked. Do not remove feet. a. Do not block air vents. If they are blocked during operation, the oven may be overheated and damaged. When using any cloth over the oven, the air intake and exhaust should not be blocked. Also allow sufficient space on back and both sides of the oven. b. Do not place oven near a hot or damp surface such as a gas stove, electric range or sink etc. c. Do not operate oven when room humidity is too high.

2. This oven was manufactured for household use only.

3. The appliance is freestanding type and shall not be placed in a cabinet.

See page 2 at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kelly but when you advised you had no answer for me I phoned Panasonic direct with a solution of my own to which they agreed would be OK. The microwave you are talking about is must be something different because I have the trim kit for it to build into the cupboard so you have missed the point entirely. The vent is a deflector that keeps the cupboard 20mm of the wall which as I said in my email needs a 600mm wide internally cupboard but I only had a 600mm wide externally cupboard. Still thanks for trying anyway. Don't respond to this as there is no point
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The above was directly from the manual for the exact model you posted, but thank you for the reply.