Australia Whitegoods

Australian Whitegoods Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Our Aquasmart washing machine leaks at the bottom. How can I…

Customer Question
Our Aquasmart washing machine leaks...
Our Aquasmart washing machine leaks at the bottom. How can I open the machine and see what is the caused? What is the likely cause of the leak? Thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Australia Whitegoods
7/22/2011
AU Appliance Technician: AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician replied 6 years ago
AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Hello and thank you for your inquiry, I will be assisting you with your question today.
Pull the washing machine forward and then lean it back against the wall.
Lay down in front of the machine and look up into the cabinet, at the front right hand side is the water pump, it is identified by a little fan that spins when the pump spins, you will see it when you look up underneath. This is your first point of inspection. Feel the pump with your hand and have a good look at it using a torch if possible. They often leak at the water pump.
Your second point of inspection is the drain hose, follow the hose from the pump all the way up to the top rear of the inner cabinet using your torch, sometimes the drain hose splits where it bends through the rear of the cabinet. Last but not least, when looking up into the cabinet, if the water is coming from the center of the motor and flicking out around the inside of the cabinet, it will be the main seal between the bowl and the outer tub.
These are really the only places a Fisher and Paykel can leak, apart from the inlet hoses attached to the back, which you should check also. Make sure they are done up tight and the washers and hoses are not leaking.
Also, when you look up under the machine, if the base plate is still attached, remove it using a flat head screw driver by levering the plate away all the way around the base. Leave it off also, as they trap moisture.
I have checked the spots and have not been able to find the source of the leak. I have turn on the machine and go through a cycle, but WITHOUT ANY CLOTHES INSIDE, I am still waiting to see if the leak appears. Should I test the machine and put some clothes inside?
You can run the test without clothes, but you might as well do some washing and make good use of the water.
Sometimes the pumps will only leak when they are spinning, you will notice this directly below the water pump. Look for the water puddle and try to trace the problem..
Feel the pump for water leakage at the end of the first drain cycle,,, make sure you unplug the machine first though okay,
One of the screws on the water pump has rust on it. Could this indicate the source of the leak is the water pump? If not, I will do a complete full wash next time and thanks for your advice.
that can be a fairly good indication, were there any white or rusty looking marks on the pump as well?
The white powder mark appears on the screws heads only. The rest of the pump looks clean. If the pump is the caused, I will replace it. Thanks again.
Brand new pump is about $60
To remove it, unplug the earth wire and the plug connector at the pump, lever out the little white plastic arm at the top of the pump housing and whilst holding the clip outwards, twist and unlock the water pump, it will then fall away from the base of the machine.
Install is reverse order of above, make sure the clip locks into position.
Here is a link to a new one,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FISHER-AND-PAYKEL-ELECTRIC-WATER-DRAIN-PUMP-BRAND-NEW-/370498535154?pt=AU_ApplianceAccessoriesParts&hash=item56436efef2
AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
Make sure it is the pump before you go replacing it though, give it a few runs when you have time and watch to see where the drip is hitting the floor, this will give you a fairly good indication.
Front left hand side, is the water pump, right hand rear side is the drain hose, the center will be the main seal, as far as water hitting the ground from the above areas*