Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

No spark. checked ohms on coils, throttle body that seem…

No spark. checked ohms...

No spark. checked ohms on coils, throttle body that seem fine and just replaced cam sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you been experiencing power loss or stalling? Is the check engine light on?

Check light on. We replaced the timing chain and was going well. did a sharp u turn and the car faded and then stalled. hasn't started since. checking we got 1 weak spark on cylinder 1 and then no more sparks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Infinit?

2003 vq25dd skyline

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Infinit Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Has fuel, can hear fuel pump, cranks over well.

Answered in 2 days by:
10/25/2021
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello & welcome to Just answer

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been an automotive engineer since 1996 so hopefully I can help
Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with your vehicle, it’s certainly frustrating when this happens as it rarely occurs at a convenient time.
May I ask with whom I am speaking today?

As you have a check engine light on then ideally plugging in a scan tool to pull off the code would help with the diagnosis

as it sounds like it could be an issue with the crank position sensor or possibly the wiring to the sensor

I'd also check the state of ground wire connections to the engine

so the large wires between engine, chassis and battery

all connection points must be clean, tight and corrosion free

there should also be a smaller ground wire that runs out of the engine bay harness and is secured to the engine with a ring terminal

again this must be clean and tight

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried a new Fuelmiser crank sensor, but no fire. Put the cam sensor in, not fit correctly and car fires with black smoke for 5 seconds and cuts out. Will try a different crank sensor. Shame cause those Fuelmiser are expensive and meant to be good.

OK I'd also check the state of the toothed wheel the sensor points at on the cam and the crank sensor

as if you have a bent or broken tooth on the wheel then this will mess with the ECM timing

if this checks out then I'd say to do a compression test across all cylinders to double check the timing as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
compression test within 5%. checked after doing the timing chains. Will check the tooth, but see the forums say not to use oem crank sensors. Based on the cam sensor giving a fire. i suspect the crank sensor is still the issue.

can you check / measure the gap between the sensor tip and the toothed wheel as well?

as it should be about 1mm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how, the sensor goes in a hole and the gearbox is attached. I will see if there is any other access. First thing, is to try and find another sensor. Bloody lockdown. Anyway thanks. Keep well and safe.

you need a depth gauge / vernier caliper to measure the drop from the sensor mount face to the tooth tip and then measure the sensor body mount face to its tip

the difference betwen the two is the gap

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, have not received the new crank sensor. This could take some time to be couriered. here as we are in COVID lockdown.Regards
Chris

Fair enough Chris

just get back to me on this post

Matt, Engineer