Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Mate, when i hook the battery theres a motor running noise…

Customer Question
Hi mate, when i...

Hi mate, when i hook the battery theres a motor running noise but its seems to be coming from the starter motor & the car wont even kick over?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi there. When did the noise from the engine first start? Is the vehicle handling normally otherwise?

Well its a friends car, it started a few days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

Model# *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Yr: June 2005

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Australia Car
9/1/2021
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello & welcome to Just answer

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been an automotive engineer since 1996 so hopefully I can help
Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with your vehicle, it’s certainly frustrating when this happens as it rarely occurs at a convenient time.
May I ask with whom I am speaking today?

This sounds like the starter motor solenoid has failed to me

however 1st check  that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well. Ideally use a multimeter to measure the main power lead resistance as it should be no more than 3 ohms if it is then replace it with a new part

Then use a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage as it should be at least 12V with the ignition on and not drop below 9V when you're trying to crank / start the engine

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch/ pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch/ starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

if this checks  out then I'd replace the starter motor

Hello
Do you still need help ?

As I’ve provided an answer based on the information you’ve provided, but I am still willing to help further if required.
If you would like to follow up with more information which would help me provide more detail then please do so.
My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and hopefully I've helped today. If my advice was helpful please leave an appropriate rating

Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No mate, all good thanks for the advice cheers

glad to help