Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

My son just put diesel in my petrol 2009 Kakadu and drove it…

Hi my son just...

Hi my son just put diesel in my petrol 2009 Kakadu and drove it home about 5kms car still running when he got here how do I go about draining fuel tank and fuel system thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Toyota start—same as usual?

Don't want to start it and risk more damage was sounding bit rough when he pulled up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Toyota?

09 Toyota Prado Kakadu

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will try to drain the fuel system myself as in country area don't have easy access to mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it thanks

10/10/2020
AU Auto Mechanic: indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic replied 1 year ago
indy-tech
indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic
Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer.
name is ***** ***** I am an independent Auto Technician.
Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your Vehicle , I will do my best to assist you with this issue.A live optional phone call will be automatically offered by JustAnswer,
But I can not do calls at the moment we can carry on with text?It may take a moment for me to get back to you as I may have to look up information about your concern,
So I really appreciate your patience.Do you have your VIN number handy for me so I can look up your vehicle?May I ask who I have the pleasure of chatting with?Greg.Can you tell me how much petrol was in the tank and how much diesel was added to it?
Greg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Greg I'm Brenton don't have vin number handy sorry, there was about 15 litres in tank and approx 12 litres addedWas driven for approx 5 km and was still running when he got home but sounded rough
Ok what I suggest you do is try and drain fuelSiphon from the filler as much as you can then add as much petrol as you can you don’t have to drain completely just get as much as you can out. Luckily you added diesel to a petrol engine which
is not gonna cause much damage at all if it had been the other way around could’ve been
disastrous. So drain as much as you can add fresh petrol to the top.My goal is to provide you with excellent service.If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you, simply reply back if q require additional information and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions.I am not done until you are happy.Kindest regards Greg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thankyou Greg my son took my car out for the first time (just got licence) and thought would be nice to buy some fuel as you can imagine he is very upset so hearing what you just said has made him feel better. I will drain as much as possible and fill with petrol and go from there thankyou for you time

Great news makes me feel good to know I have made him feel good. but tell him I see this all the time

its very easy to happen and having a Prado even easier as most think they are all diesel driven.

So tell him he is not the only one doing this easy mistake.

Kindest regards Greg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You've been awesome thanks Greg you take care really appreciate it mate

You're welcome been a pleasure working with you.

Greg

indy-tech
indy-tech, Australia Car Mechanic