Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 2.2L Astra twintop, my engine management light…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 2.2L Astra twintop, my engine management light came on and stays on and the car has no power or acceleration at all. There are no engine codes stored, also parts for the 2.2L twintop don't seem to be compatible with other 2.2L engines. Any help would be appreciated!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '08 car?

AH Holden Astra 2.2L automatic, the engine is the Z22YH. The engine is acting like it is in limp home mode

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have had my mechanic plug in the computer and no codes were stored. He was thinking maybe high pressure fuel pump or air flow meter, but because this model 2.2L is not compatible with others it's hard to try replacement parts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this a common problem with this model engine? thank you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/20/2019
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Thank you Gary!

I find it hard to believe no codes.

There has to be, if the engine management light comes on.

High pressure fuel pump, throttle body, pedal sensor harness terminals in the left kick panel are some common causes of low power etc.

I would measure the intank low pressure supply pump pressure and volume as a quick test for pass/fail, then move on to the other areas. The left kickpanel is a bit of effort to remove.

X201 is the connector, the 6 gold terminals get fretting corrosion.

I would ask him why no codes if the light comes on.

Does the light come on hard or flashing?

Gary

Hi Gary,
RE: Astra engine management lightThanks for the info. I am a mechanic by trade and maintain my own vehicles, but have been out of the game for nearly 30 years now, so problems like these get a bit beyond me.
The car is a 2008 Opel Astra twintop. The engine is a 2.2L direct-injection (Z22YH, I believe), which I have been told is not in any other Astra's. The light coming on is a picture of a car with a spanner over it. The handbook says this symbol is the engine management system. This light comes on and stays on hard all the time.
The engine runs smooth at idle in 'park' but will not rev over 2800 rpm. When driving it has no power at all and acts like it is in limp home mode.
My mechanic said there are no codes coming up, and the engine graphs are normal. The intake pressure on the high-pressure fuel pump has been checked and is normal. As you suggested, I removed the left-hand kick panel to check the pedal sensor harness, but all that is behind the panel is a very large harness connector, which I disconnected and checked all terminals which seem to be fine. I couldn't find any gold terminals. I have also depressed the accelerator pedal three times which ignition on to cancel any codes and I have disconnected the battery. Restarting the engine, the light comes on hard and the problem is the same.
I assume all I can do now is get my mechanic to recheck for any codes, but he is now on holidays until the new year. Should his gear pick up codes, or will only the Holden Teck 2 pick up codes? Any advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks, Mick.

Hi Mick,

That large connector is designated as X201, there are a row of 6 terminals in a row that are different metal to the rest, 6 wires for the 2 APP sensors from the pedal sensor assembly. Your warning lamp is for emissions hence why the engine goes into limp mode.

Yes, the engine you have only comes in Astra AH convertible, or another variant in Zafira.

If the low pressure supply measures ok, my bet is on the high pressure pump.

There is a techline about this via Holden, that the dealer techs know about.

Gary

Hi Mick,

This is the description of the high pressure fuel pump issue on Z22YH engine:

Roll to page 17 of 32:

https://www.tat.net.au/pdfs/editions/Issue24Dec2011_lores.pdf

Normally logs DTC P1191.

Hope this helps you.

Gary

Thank you very much Gary got all the help!

You're welcome Mick.

Gary