Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1963 VW split screen kombi van. I have replaced the…

Customer Question
I have a 1963...

I have a 1963 VW split screen kombi van. I have replaced the reduction box's for a direct drive system and now the rear of the van is 40mm lower than the front. Can you tell me of any adjustments that can be made to level it up. Thanks Dave

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '63 VW?

Bus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I have adjusted the suspension pins on the front suspension! that made a small difference. I do not know of any way to adjust it apart from that.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

It is not on the road yet and no fluid under the car

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Australia Car
5/31/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This sounds like the rear torsion bars are out of position

as the image shows the rear torsion bar spring and a spline joint at each end and its very easy to move this out of alignment if you had the rear swing arm off the car

There are 44 splines on the inner end and moving one spline changes the plate angle 8.18 degrees.

There are 40 splines on the outer end and moving one spline changes the plate angle 9.00 degrees.

So sound like you need to come up by at least 2 splines

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt