Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

It ran near empty of oil... red light came on.. and within a…

Customer Question
It ran near empty...

It ran near empty of oil... red light came on.. and within a minute it began to tap so pulled over as soon as I could. Got oil out in it... took 3ltrs. Motor drill runs but sounds rattley. Is it stuffed. I took video of the sound of the motor running. Not too bad just idling but rattley when revved.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Oil light in dash

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Rav4 auto 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only put oil in it

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Australia Car
5/30/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 27 days ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

That's why the industry calls them idiot lights, because by the time they come on it's too late. that's why gauges are much better to protect your investment. Yes please send me the video so I can give you a better answer about your engine.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

keeping fingers crossed.

AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 27 days ago
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello there,

I'm an Australian Holden dealer foreman, with Toyota and other Japanese motor vehicle experience as well.

Can you post your video please?

Gary

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I can not upload video as I saved it as a movie file..
AU Auto Mechanic: Gary, Australia Car Mechanic replied 25 days ago

Can you upload it to Youtube, and then post a link to it there?

If I can't hear it, then by your description, I'd say the engine needs to be rebuilt.

Gary

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
https://youtu.be/rYkXHGTNWI0

That knock is a spun bearing in the bottom end.

You need another engine, either 2nd hand, new, or have yours rebuilt.

Gary