Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Q1 Where is the turn signal unit located in a 1970 911 S.

Customer Question
Q1 Where is the...

Q1 Where is the turn signal flasher unit located in a 1970 911 S

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 911 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to locating the flasher unit in order to check that its working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The parking lights don't work either. Thanks for your help !

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Australia Car
5/29/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician

The flasher relay is located behind the instrument panel on your vehicle. You may be able to see or get to it by looking up behind the cluster from the pedal area, but you probably need to remove the instrument panel. I would check your fuses first, because the flasher relay being faulty will not prevent the parking lights from working totally. More than likely you're talking a bad headlight switch or turn signal stalk. Do the hazard lights work using the hazard switch? If so you're looking at a faulty turn signal or headlight switch. You can see if the headlight switch is putting out voltage onto the wires for the parking lamps, on old VW and Porsche vehicles I seem to recall all the power going through the turn signal switch.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/SC/17017-08018526.html?utm_content=SC&utm_term=1970-1973+Porsche+911+Turn+Signal+Switch+Genuine+911+613+301+30+70-73+Porsche+Turn+Signal+Switch+1971+1972&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9LPYBRDSARIsAHL7J5my5yHZHgLRMxNTHEzjrTjWjrFCVZDnnzTcgkcErIMvmU_SX6zjSAkaAga0EALw_wcB&ad=47433965052#immersedview

Take a look at this, see how many wires there are? That means there's way to many for it to only be handling the turn signals. Like I was remembering, all the power seems to go through the turn signal switch on these. This is probably the issue if all the fuses are good.

If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way the site compensates me for my time. If you need further assistance please let me know.

AU Auto Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.