Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Im having trouble when my navara is cold i try to start it…

Hi im having trouble...

Hi im having trouble when my navara is cold i try to start it and it stalls straight away and i can do this until it starts to warm up and also does it when its cold and i drive it straight away once warm it seems to be alright

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Both mainly when its cold though

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Navara?

2011 tiawan build

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?

The merchanic has replaced the injector rail and sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that it

5/28/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If the EGR valve is stuck open then this can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

you can also do a reasonable run-back test yourself by disconnecting the electrical plug on the injectors and the downstream pipe of the leak off, crank the engine over and if you see a noticable difference if the flow in the leak off then that the likely problem injector.

Lastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi Matt i have tried the EGR valve and no difference also checked the fuel filter and perfectly clean as ran it in another navara with no problems can you suggest any thing else and i will try the runback test when i get a chance
Hello, I'd also check if you have a throttle body (not all models do) and check that it opens smoothly with the ignition on. And also check all the vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks
did all that you said but still having same problem but getting worse as weather is getting colder any ideas

Ok

I'd next check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.

If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.
You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.
Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

hi matt i checked the earth strap thats ok and the glow plugs all ok i did bypass the fuel filter to see if that was the problem and found the car wouldn't start at all like the fuel pump wouldn't get fuel into the injectors so reconnected the filter it started but ran rough until it heated up so could it be the fuel pump or the scv valve

Hello

I'd say its possible that the SCV or lift pump may be faulty as it sounds like its struggling to draw fuel in

the SCV is a known weak point so I'd begin by replacing that

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer