Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2016 civic, purchased 14 moths ago. It has 25,000km…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2016 civic, purchased 14 moths ago. It has 25,000km on the clock. The rear brake discs are warped and have to be machined. Honda service say its due to salt air as I live near the ocean. Does this seem right? I had my last Honda civic for 10 years in the same spot with no hassle and it had 4 wheel disc brakes. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?

25,000 km or 15,535 miles on the car. The brake discs are original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, being done by Honda dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
4/4/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Salty air will cause more rust on the bare metal rotors but rust does not cause rotor warping. Heat does that. At some point the brakes got to hot then the vehicle was parked and the rotor cooled down except for where the brake pads are. Getting off the interstate then pulling into a restaurant causes this often. Another possible cause is the brake caliper is sticking and not releasing the pads from the rotor.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris