Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 scenic automatic.gearbox light comes on. Stop the car…

Customer Question
2003 scenic automatic.gearbox light...

2003 scenic automatic.gearbox light comes on. Stop the car and restart.gearbox light goes off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The gearbox light on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Renault?

Don't know exactly . scenic auto

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have engineering experiance. can repair myself.just curious as to possible fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No .that's about it really

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
4/3/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This light is coming on to indicate to you that a fault is detected with one of the gearbox components.This can be a faulty speed sensor or shift solenoid or range sensor among many other components.What has to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle to then read out what fault code is set.There will be at least one fault code set related to this issue here that will help to then diagnose and pinpoint this issue.This has to be done due to the several different components that can be at fault causing this light to come on.

Since the light turns off when you restart the car this usually indicates it is an electrical component at fault.I have seen issues with the speed sensor or a solenoid in the gearbox causing this issue here needs to be replaced.But the codes do have to be checked in order to help determine for sure which component needs to be repaired or replaced for this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete