Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Mistsubishi colt drive fine but can’t reverse. 2005. I

Customer Question
Mistsubishi colt drive fine...

Mistsubishi colt drive fine but can’t reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Colt?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colt yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t attempted anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
4/1/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the shifter does move correctly into reverse but the vehicle does not move then the failure is most likely internal in the transmission. If the engine revs freely as if in neutral then the problem is in the transmission.

If it feels as if the brake is being held then it's possible that you have a brake issue. A broken brake shoe for instance can allow a piece to get wedged between the shoe backing plate and drum or rotor, and it can prevent the vehicle from moving normally in one direction or the other depending on how it is trapped.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.