Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

My farm vehicle is a 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door with…

Customer Question
Hi, My name is***** farm vehicle...
My name is***** farm vehicle is a 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport 2 door with 3.8L 6cyl petrol engine which is intermittently blowing the 10 Amp M37 underhood fuse. The fuse protects the fuel pump (plus ABS ESPBAS) so when it blows the engine stops and won't restart until the fuse is replaced.
It can happen anytime, several times a day: When stationary after starting the engine if no acceleration is applied, at idle, driving slowly, reversing, decelerating for an intersection and if heavy braking but usually happens when starting to drive forward in first gear unless lots of acceleration is applied it stalls and blows the fuse.
I used an air compressor to blow the dust out of the alternator and every wiring connector under the hood and the fuse box (and the air filter). I also vacumned out all the dust and dirt from the the interior of the cabin and blew the dust out from under the dash and the frequency of the fuse blowing seems to have reduced but it still blows occasionally.
I have tried different amperage fuses from 5 to 25. The 25 amp seems to last longer and it currently has a 25 amp fuse in it.
Under the drivers seat there is a loose cable and connector that isn't tied down. I'm not sure if that goes to the fuel pump or something else. I will see if that can be secured and I will attempt to find if there is any bare wires that can touch the frame. If that is not causing the problem then can you suggest what else I could do? I have considered replacing the fuel pump.
I took it in for a service and the Jeep mechanics couldn't find any issues with the wiring. They suggested it would be an expensive trial and error exercise to find the source of the problem @$150 per hour. Replacing the fuel pump would take three hours and cost nearly just $600 for the part. That may not fix the problem if the fuel pump is not faulty.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/31/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The 25 amp fuse needs to be removed and a 10 amp installed, using a higher amperage fuse than the circuit is rated for can cause damage or potentially a fire.

The fuse is blowing either due to high current draw in a component or a short to ground on the circuit.

This fuse is a power feed to the brake switch, the coil side of the fuel pump relay (ruling out the fuel pump), the ABS module, and final drive module if equipped. The problem may also be an internal failure in the TIPM but that's not likely.

Does the fuse only blow when the brake is being pressed?

Hi,Yes I have tried using the handbrake last Friday instead of the foot brake to stop and the fuse did not blow.
It may be the foot brake causing the fuse to blow.
I have booked the Jeep in on Wednesday morning. What do you wish me to tell the Mechanic to check?
I will put the 10 Amp fuse back in now. I'll try not to use the foot brake until the problem is fixed.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Kel

You'll just need to tell them that this fuse is blowing and that it seems to be happening when pressing the brake. You most likely have an intermittent short to ground in the brake lamp switch output circuit somewhere.

OK thanks. I'll let you know how it goes on Wednesday.
Kel

Great!

Just for your information. I was driving at 100kph on cruise control on the highway today, the M37 fuse blew again as I tapped the foot brake to disengage cruise control on approaching the town 70kph speed limit sign.

YOu do have a short to ground on the brake lamp circuit somewhere then.

The mechanics checked the wiring and couldn't find the fault so they have ordered a new brake switch and fuel pump Relay. The jeep is booked in on the 30th April for them to fit them.
On the way home (1.5 hour drive) and this morning I have been using the foot brake and the fuse hasn't blown yet. They must have moved something. To early to tell yet.

It's pretty unlikely that the relay or brake switch are causing the fuse to blow.

I thought that. Is there somewhere I can look myself?

You can visually inspect the wiring from the brake switch to the rear of the vehicle, including trailer wiring, but you may not be able to see anything visually.

OK. I check it after work. There is also a cb radio installed below the steering wheel. Not sure where the previous owner connected it to the power but I don't use it and I could remove it.

You can disconnect it and see what happens but I wouldn't expect it to be connected to this circuit.

ok. The mechanics worked around it yesterday so I guess they would have checked it out.
I am leaving mobile phone service now. Going to the farm.

Let me know how it goes!

OK thanks

You're welcome!

I just crawled under the jeep out in the paddock and may have found the problem. The twisted split plastic conduct has a shrunken dark patch where it is attached to the frame about level with the front of the drivers door.
I will put the jeep up on the hoist at the farm workshop and see if there is any burnt or damaged wiring inside the conduit at this spot after I finish work today.I am in and out of the jeep all day on the farm. Can you tell me how to disable the drivers seat belt alarm and the drivers door open alarm.

The driver's door wiring harness can be unplugged to disable the ajar functions for that door. Here is the inforimation from the owner's manual on disabling the seatbelt warning chime:

BeltAlert can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or START position. Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend deactivating BeltAlert.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the ACC/ON position (do not start the engine), and wait for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckle