Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Yo I drove a ford falcon Ute through some water on the road,

Customer Question
Yo I drove a...

Yo I drove a ford falcon Ute through some water on the road , it was about halfway up my shin deep and now it won’t . Can I pls have some trouble shooting steps . What I’ve done done so far - put a different good condition battery in , sprayed wd40 into the carby ,around the air filter pipes and on the spark plugs . I’m very uneducated on mechanics so pls speak in laymen’s terms . Ta mate

Mechanic's Assistant: How has your mileage been lately? Have you checked the spark plugs?

Mileage ? What’s that got to do with it ? Yeah I sprayed them with wd40

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Falcon?

Not sure but maybe 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Falcon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve written what I’ve done so far above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/26/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Unfortunately what happens is when the water is deep and gets into the vehicle or into the engine area the water gets into electrical connectors and electronics.

Your next step here is to disconnect all wiring connections in the area the water had entered and dry them out.If you see any electronics that have water in them dry them out as well.This may take a day to do with a fan blowing on all electronics.

Then see if it starts and runs properly from there.

In allot of cases, the electronics that the water had entered will short out internally and have to be replaced.So if after the water dries out if it still will not start or operate properly then you need to have a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Those codes are then diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.But in allot of cases any electrical component ( besides any connectors ) will have to be replaced as the water causes corrosion in the components as well as shorts out the components.

So you need to locate all electronics the water had affected.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete