Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Marty have a 2004 peugeot 307, came up with ethe

Customer Question
hi marty have a 2004...
hi marty have a 2004 peugeot 307, came up with ethe antipollution fault and a really bad misfire - scanned it and came up with the CKP sensor error. Changed this and still had a misfire - ended up changing teh coil pack, ran fine for 3 days and felt a little heave to drive. It rained that night and the following day drove it and there is now a p0352 error misfire on cyl 2 - if i take the battery terminal off and let eth car reset, the misfire isnt there but if i drive it for a while the misfire returns - have read alot of stuff on the net - are we thinking EGR ? Tappets ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
the oil that was put into the vehicke was 5w40 if that helps
how would you trouble shoot all of the options ?
3/25/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

P0352 is for the number 2 coil driver circuit, which can be caused by a bad coil, a wiring issue between the engine controller and coil, or it can be caused by a failed coil driver in the ECM.

This code was not present until the coil was replaced?

Where did the replacement part come from?

hi there, the replacement part is a delphi part ... even when it was installed the vehicle ran okay for a couple of days and then was a little sluggish - could it be teh EGR ? or MAf sensor ?

The only possible causes for the coil code are the coil, wiring, and a failed coil driver within the ECM. If the code didn't start setting until after the coil was replaced then try reinstalling the old one and see if the code stops setting.

How would you investigate the options? is there any reason that the car is sluggish ? or that if you disconnect the battery terminal and reconnect it the misfire goes away for a little while

If the code didn't start setting until after the coil was replaced then start by reinstalling the old one and see if the code stops setting. If that doesn't help then the number 2 coil driver circuit needs to be tested for an open circuit and for a short to power or ground.

hi again, do you have any information on how i can test that circuit ? if it was the egr stock on open then would there be a code set also ?

I don't have the wire color because it isn't a US vehicle, but as far as the testing you'd need to use a digital voltmeter to test the circuit for a short to power or ground. If ok then it's continuity between the coil and ECM would need to be tested, a load test with a bulb and jumper wires would be best.

THanks - will check that out but also if i install another coil and the same thing happens with a different coil bay - what are we thinking then ?

If the problem isn't the coil then it's a wiring problem or a failed coil driver within the ECM.

hi again - if it was a wiring issue the misfire would be constant would it not? also the isfire seems to come after the car has warmed up ....

Any problem can be intermittent.

HI again - I cleared the codes today, and restarted the car... it ran fine until the engine temperature warmed up to half way - then the misfire reappeared .... the fact that this happens makes me think that it’s not a short or a problem with the coil or the spark plugs as initially the car idles fine and this is repeatable
The problem being intermittent doesn't rule out or condemn anything. You're setting a coil circuit code and these are the three possible causes, the three things that make up the circuit.
Hi again - I will get this checked out by an auto electrician on Tuesday - I may come back with further questions - still feel a little unsure that the above is the reason as the problem is repeatable and only occurs when the engine is warm (as soon as the engine heats up the code sets) otherwise it is not present
Ok.