Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Slow and rough idle and a clicking noise from inside the…

Customer Question
Hi - slow and...

Hi - slow and rough idle and a clicking noise from inside the driver's side door in the same rhythm 1990 300e

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent, lower in drive than neutral or park also

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300E yourself? What have you tried so far?

Attempting to... new plugs, new leads, cleaned rotor and dist cap

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/24/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by checking the battery voltage as if its really low this will give running issues

if its lower than 12.5V with the engine off and then still low with the engine running then the alternator may have issues

So check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt