Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Do I need to do any retuning after replacing the spark plugs…

Customer Question
Do I need to...

Do I need to do any retuning after replacing the spark plugs and ignition coils

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

Not sure of the mileage. Its my daughters car. I suspect the pulgs havent been changed in a good while

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Hey sorry Pearl. I obviously need more info. Its an Xtrail but I will gather the appropriate info and try again later. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Nissan?

Hi Pearl. Its a 2003 Xtrail and has done 240000 kms

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to fix it myself. Havent done anything as yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just that it suddenly loses power. Drops to around 10kph

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/23/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

1st thing to answer is that there's no need to re-program anything with just a replacement of plugs and coils

and as you've replaced all of them the next thing to consider is that this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt