Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

The DPF light came on in my CX7. What to do? The yellow

Hi the DPF light...

Hi the DPF light came on in my CX7. What to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The yellow warning light on the instrument cluster

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your CX-7?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a diesel

3/22/2018
Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Is the yellow DPF flashing or solid?

Gary

was flashing but now solid

When flashing, it means the engine management is doing a DPF regeneration. Keep driving while this occurs until the light goes off.

Turning off the engine before this cycle completes causes more frequent flashing.

Not completing the cycle many times brings up a solid light.

Now a code will be set, and needs a workshop generated DPF regeneration.

Do you know about this, what to do when the light starts flashing?

It's in the owners manual.

Gary

Thanks for your advice. I note it’s something to do with the Dpf being clogged up. Not too sure what is causing this. Have booked the car in to our local Mazda dealer on Monday.
Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

The most common causes for premature DPF warning lights is boost pressure leaks.

The DPF has to really clog up before it hampers performance.

I've seen about 2 or 3 in my recent years with DPF, so not common.

Your dealer will sort it for you.

I wish you well at the dealer on Monday.

Gary

Thanks Gary. It’s reassuring it’s not going to hamper the engine. Regards,
Ale

Hi Ale,

You should still get it looked at as soon as you can arrange it, preferably with your Mazda dealer.

Have a good day.

Gary

Gary, thanks for your reply. We took the Mazda out for a drive on the freeway yesterday, and guess what? The warning light went off. The car is still booked in for a check up on Monday.
Cheers
Alex

Good to hear Alex.

DPF warning lights are the most common complaint with many diesel cars these days.

As you are aware, the warning light functions in two stages depending on what is happening.

Mazda will sort it on Monday.

Gary

Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic

Hi Alex,

How did you go at the Mazda dealer?

Gary