Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

On my V40 diesel 33000kms, when I changed down in manual on…

On my V40 diesel...

On my V40 diesel 33000kms, when I changed down in manual on a long downhill run the gearbox did not respond. Now it does respond, but the "S" lights up red, which suggests a problem to me. Your advice please

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The light on the dashboard

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your V40?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i won't be repairing it myself, but have heard nothing from my local dealer since bringing this to their attention

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thats about the story

Answered in 1 day by:
3/22/2018
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

With the light coming on this can indicate a fault code is set in the computer for a transmission component at fault/acting up needing to be replaced.What needs to be done from here is to have a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set with this fault.Once this is done any codes set will then need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this fault.

This may be a fault with a shift solenoid or position sensor needing to be replaced but there are several components that can cause this issue here so having the codes checked is the best thing to do to help to locate and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician