Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Have changed thermostat ,water pump,sensor on my ml 63 09…

Customer Question
Hi,have changed thermostat ,water...

Hi,have changed thermostat ,water pump,sensor on my ml 63 09 Mercedes .Can drive it an all is good then next time go into limp mode temp gauge go to 120c.l stop an it will go down to 85 drive on an it's normal on 95c mite not do it on next drive than next same problem.regards Steve

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

No I don't think it's over heating service just done

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '63 Mercedes?

It's an o9 ml63 6.2lt suv

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No as first message

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He mite have come across this problem before maybe

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Fan seams to be doing what it should
3/19/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 3 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang, Master Benz Tech.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I do need the vin # to get the factory information to assist.

Thanks

WDC1641772A480364

ok is there coolant going into the oil or the combustion chambers?

you may need borescope to look inside cylinders to see if any of the pistons are clean and shiny.

please do let me know

Hi,it's not losing coolant.I know this motor has head bolt issues so will get mechanic to do this next,they are suggesting could be part blockage in the radiator but find that hard to believe the coolant was nice an clean when they did the pump.steve.

maybe combustion pressure in the cooling system!!!

Don't think so no fluid leaks no hoses or radiator or cap exploded,it does not seam to hot when I stop and get out for a look,can hold the hoses an tough radiator an not get burnt.steve

I wonder if the coolant temp sensor wiring has high resistance . that will cause the sensor readings be skewed . did you measure with a thermal gun when the temp is at 120 and get a reading of the hoses?

Hi,it only lasts about a minute an usually on the road so would never get time to test any thing when it happens,it has never done it for the mechanic only for the girl that drops me home.he run it up at the shop an checked all the temps with a gauge but all normal there

steve if its a temp reading only thing but no spillage of coolant and no signs of overheating leads to a wiring thing.

Hi,checked it with infared thermometer an temp is normal when it goes to limp mode but oil an water gauges spike up for a minute or so then go back to normal.If the oil temp sensor was faulty would the water gauge play up too.
AU Auto Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 2 months ago

Steve did you have a scan test performed to see what fault codes are stored in all modules?

Scan test done no reading came up.got in touch with previous owner an he said his scan said sensor so they changed the temp one but there are a lot more of them,so was wondering if the oil one would spike the water one.my mechanic is going to look to see if the computer has been opened or a wire not right.steve

what scan tool are you using ? make and model please . thanks

Not sure they do mainly European cars so it would be a good one
Mercedes Benz have all also looked at it for previous owner and said it was good?
Auto land I scan2,bosh ktax,auto diagnostic Multy tester pro,xenty.all about $10,000 each so should be good machines

There has to be faults stored because the temp readings and oil readings come through the communication lines from the engine ecu that is why i have ask a full scan .

Ok booked in for Tuesday so will get him to do a full scan if he hasn't already done this.the temp readings are false it's not geting hot so something is telling something lies

need to compare the ecu what temp does it read to the temp of what the instrument cluster reads to see if they jive with each other or something is skewed.

Do you think it is stored in the ecu now or will it only show up at the time it happens.if so how do I get it to happen when it's not driven they tried this in the shop an never happened
If it's not stored what next,have you ever had this problem before or anyone else out there?

when it acts up there will be fault codes stored.

What if no code Shows up as in last time it was checked?

The chances are slim to none !! Use MB xentry scan tool!!

Hi Wolfgang,well no codes came up so heads are of an sure enough it's 6.3lt issue with the head bolts just enough coolant getting in to spike the temp.Mecedes is in denial about this problem by the sounds of it,other wise they would of fixed it in the earlier models.regards Steve.

to verify for sure inject air in the cylinder with the coolant cap off and then crank the vehicle with a carbon pyle battery tester to load it down while cranking to freeze the crank at compression stroke and see if there is spillage of the coolant bottle. This will tell fro sure if you have a headgasket/bolt issue

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks and my pleasure!

Wolfgang

To late heads already of

any of the bolts broken? any signs of the head gaskets look blown?