Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I am doing a car up for my sister and the radio in it

Customer Question
I am doing a...

I am doing a car up for my sister and the radio in it ivasking for a code it's a 1997 ford fairlane geea. I have a jeeo and I had to ring them to get my code for my radio so do I have to do the same.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fairlane yourself? What have you tried so far?

I dont have any of that information. Where in the glove box would I be lokking for it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sorry about my spelling.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/15/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Basically just look through the manuals that came with the vehicle if you have them.Either in the main owner's manual or in the manual that details the stereo system your vehicle came with, there would have been a place to write the original radio code down.Generally it's a removable card that can be torn out and kept seperately as if anybody would want to steal the factory deck out of a 97 Fairlane. However, people rarely tore them out and thus it's generally in the book still if the book is even with the vehicle anymore.We aren't allowed to give the codes out if we even have access to a specific vehicle's system because we happen to work for that dealer.If you can't find the code, you will need to remove the deck and get the serial number off of it and call the Ford dealership.Or, simply go to a Ford dealership and ask them to retrieve the code for you, which most will do for free.As an alternative, since you're helping your sister out, you might consider just getting an aftermarket stereo for safety reasons. You can get a modern stereo with Bluetooth, hands free calling, Nav, the works, for less than $200 now. It'll read her text messages to her and everything and lessen her chances of texting while driving. Plus she can stream her Spotify or Pandora right to it, and control it from the stereo instead of the phone. Just a thought.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name, as that is the only way that I am compensated for my time.If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.