Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

98 - 99 Mitsubishi nimbus starts idles and then stalls at…

Customer Question
98 - 99 Mitsubishi...

98 - 99 Mitsubishi nimbus starts idles and then stalls at first it was every now and then now all the time only runs for about 5 seconds ???

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Stalls driving and at idle and yes engine light has only recently been coming on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 98 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried fuel pump so now have a spare one tried scan tools but they will not read this model as it is to old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not right now thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/15/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Actually anything after 1996 is OBD2 compatible and the scan tool should read it no problem. If it's not reading it you on faulty control module or something is jamming the diagnostic bus.I would say get a voltmeter and let's do some testing. You didn't mention changing the fuel pump relay and often times the fuel pump relay needs to be changed when the pump fails it's possible that the pump relay is faulty and just can't carry the amount of amperage necessary to run the pump the injectors and everything else so I would start by seeing that the fuel injectors are getting 12 volts all the time with the ignition key on so wait till vehicle dies get out and then see if you still have 12 volts at the injectors to start.What happens when it dies? Maybe you can post a video on YouTube and Link me to it? What if you try to give it throttle does it just cut out or exactly what does it do? Does a fire right back up immediately or do you have to wait a couple minutes before it will restart?You might try getting some brake clean taking the intake boot off and clean the throttle body out because if it's dirty inside it could be causing lack of airflow at idle that stalls it out.Also I could really use the fault code numbers in memory so we should really try to get that scan tool to scan the vehicle, are there any other lights on the dash like maybe ABS light or anything like that?