Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Looking at a Tarago, with 2,.4 l engine that has 210,000.

Customer Question
Greetings....looking at a Tarago...

Greetings....looking at a Tarago, with 2,.4 l engine that has 210,000. How much longer before i can expect major engine problems....tks

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

200,000k and it is an automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2003 Toyota Tarago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Looking to buy the car....looks in good nick but interested in how long i can expect out of the engine before there are problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only have verbal evidence that it was serviced regularly and don't know where it has been mainly driven....city or country. What can my mechanic look for as signs of potential problems

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/14/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

You are right to be cautious as that's a lot of miles

I'd say if the engine has been correctly serviced and good quality synthetic oil has been used throughout then it should be good for another 40K

the fact thats its an auto is in its favour as its very difficult to over-rev with an auto

I'd say to check inside the oil filler cap for signs of coking up and ideally do a compression test to confirm the engine health

however it will certainly be a gamble and this should be reflected in the purchase price

AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt