Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Mercedes Vito 119 3.2ltr Efi v6. 2004 model....when…

Hi there ....I have...

Hi there ....I have a Mercedes Vito 119 3.2ltr Efi v6. 2004 model....when vehicle is cold it runs perfect...as soon as it warms up it starts to run very roughly...almost like its choking...it’s punching up the code P2001 -malfunction of EGR(functional chain)(P0400.....I’ve cleared it 2times but as soon as it warms up and starts running rough the code comes back.....I’ve put a vacuum gauge on EGR and it holds at 20kpa....as. Pump it up the vehicle starts to run rough...so it appears t

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

What do mean ...???

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Mercedes?

Vito 119. 3.2ltr v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’ve typed in above what I’ve done so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All good to go

3/13/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by checking the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

as this sounds very much like its leaking exhaust gas back into the intake at idle

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

All electrical fittings are corrosion free....I’ve check all vacuum hoses associated with the EGR...including those going to the map sensor...all are good Matt...I have removed EGR Matt but it does not look particularly dirty at all.....

Ok in that case I'd say to check the condition of the DPF and cataylst as if either one are choked up then this can create sufficient back flow to have the same effect as a stuck EGR

I'd also pull the inlet pipe off the front of the turbo and check that it spins freely too as again if this is damaged it can back the engine exhaust up

Hi Matt...engine is a petrol 3.2ltr Efi v6....it has no turbo...it’s also only a 2004 model it has no DPF...and it only does it when it gets up to operating temperature.....when it’s cold it runs smoothly.....the only code that repeatedly comes up is P-2001 malfunction of EGR (functional chain)(P0400)....

Sorry about that,

I'd say the next thing to try is to fit a blanking plate between the EGR valve and the inlet manifold so exhaust gas physically cannot make its way back to the inlet , just a thin plate of 1mm aluminium with a 3mm hole in the middle to allow a fraction of flow

this will show if EGR is the problem or not

I’ll get back to you on tha advice

no problem

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer