Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1992 subaru libierty and have lost the drive in the…

Customer Question
I have a 1992...

I have a 1992 subaru libierty and have lost the drive in the reverse mode.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '92 Subaru?

Oil level is ok , when hot will not drive in reverse all forward gears ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

No I have not ? which brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I over filled it with one half lita of oil.nothing else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Does the transmission have to come out

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the transmission is cold I do have drive in reverse. If I excelerate it is like a slipping clutch.
3/13/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd say the next step is to drain the oil off, remove the sump pan and clean out the filter screen as this sounds like there's a lack of oil pressure caused by a clogged filter

then when you refill it ensure that its the right fluid . Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Matt. Ihave drained the trans and all was clean. Fitted new oil and is a little better.
If the screen was clocked it should effect the forward drive too?

Hello

a choked filter will usually effect all the gearshifts, but sometimes you can have just 1 solenoid that ends up more clogged / stickier than the rest

so the next step would be to try a replacement solenoid for the reverse gear

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer