Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 97 Toyota Prado with 3.4 L Petrol engine, It Starts…

Customer Question
I have 97 Toyota...

I have 97 Toyota Prado with 3.4 L Petrol engine, It Starts and runs for about 5 seconds and stops, I have replaced fuel filters low temp fuel relay, maf Sensor, Efi Relay, Cleaned throttle body, if I spray ethanol directly into throttle body when im starting it will run for longer until I stop spraying, I have applied direct power to the fuel pump and can hear it running and it still stops after the 5 seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Im not certain of anything I had not got to the fuel rail yet

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Toyota?

Vzj95r

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replace maf, efi relay , temp relay, cleaned out throttle body, replace fuel filter yes myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have googled the hell out of this and cant find a similar issue anywhere

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt