Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Around five days ago I noticed my RPM gauge on my 1993

Customer Question
Around five days ago...

Around five days ago I noticed my RPM gauge on my 1993 Subaru Impreza LX, began intermittently going from my currents revs, to 0. This has become worse along with the cars conditioning fans and headlights would also fluctuate in energy, as well as occasional loss of engine power. All these problems have been getting progressively worse, with the head lights turning off a few times soon after starting the car. The indicaters sometimes don't work too. I filled the car up with fuel earlier and went to turn the egnition on but nothing happened the first few turns of the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

No I have not, I imagine its a bigger issue than a fuse gone.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impreza yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I dont think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/8/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

This sounds like the engine speed / crank position sensor is faulty

as this is crucial to the ECU running the engine correctly and without it you'll lose RPM signal and switch the engine off

So I'd say to 1st disconnect the sensor , its on the front of the engine as it points to the crank pulley

and measure its resistance as it should be(###) ###-####hm

if its outside of this then replace it

also check the state of the wiring loom and connector to the sensor and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.

If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies

Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt