Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Nissan d22 navara diesel twin cab ute with foot off the

Customer Question
Nissan d22 navara diesel...

Nissan d22 navara diesel twin cab ute with foot off the acelarator going down long hill engine stalls the have to bleed the diesel system for it to start again. Happens now and then . can you suggest what is happening.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Engine light not on. when driving downhill in 5th gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Navara?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing it myself. Had it to auto electricians plus a nissan dealer no one seems to know why it is happening and how to fix it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Car
3/8/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you haven't already it’s worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
It may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt