Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

75 series cruiser any paricular oil to use to make it work…

Customer Question
75 series cruiser any...

75 series cruiser any paricular L.S.D oil to use to make it work as designed ? Thanks - rebuilding as hobbie ex - mine vechile that has obviously had money spent in the past

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Recently purchased- oil in diff looks good but may not be LSD oil looks good,but will change anyway.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MiniE?

92 model with 300k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes; have not tried as yet but are good mechanically

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NOt at this stage thankyou.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
1/20/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

1st thing is to check you have an LSD as not all landcruisers had them

2 things to do..

1... check compliance plate and axle code will be a letter and 3 numbers letter=crownwheel diametre next 2 numbers= ratio third letter refers to carrier type 2=open single pinion.. 3=open lsd.. 4=open 2 pinion... 5=lsd 2 pinion
expect to see either 2(open) or 3 (lsd) as the last number!

this will tell what "should" or originally was fitted, thats if its still working

2... Jack rear of vehicle and rotate either wheel forward if the opposite wheel either rotates oposite direction or doent rotate the indicates a std "open" diff.......
If opposite wheel spins in same direction then indicated a lsd

Note.. a differential with a LSD carrier that is broken can present like an open carrier doing above test!! ( ie opposite wheel not rotating)

The Castrol LX90 LSD oil meets Toyotas specs and is widely available

and please note even when its working the toyota diff only has a 14% split so if 1 wheel was hanging mid air and the other stationary / has traction then 86% of the effort will go to the hanging wheel.....

this is why a lot of off road fraternity tend to replace them

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a LSD sticker on rear of diff near filler hole (LSD) ; NOT IN ANY DOUBT.

OK in that case drain off the old oil and refresh with the castrol LX90 until it runs out of the fill hole when on level ground

AU Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 24 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer