Australia Car

Australian Car Repair Issues? Ask an Auto Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Australia Car

How are ya? M 98 mazda bravo 2.5 petrol & gas modle ( gas…

Customer Question
Hi, How are ya...

Hi, How are ya ? M 98 mazda bravo 2.5 petrol & gas modle ( gas tank removed ) suddenly started running rough & when I pulled over , I noticed it was blowing alot of white smoke out the back, when I checked the plugs they were very dry, when I put new plugs in, it went abit better, but not tops ?

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

Tyers are at recommended inflation

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only happened today, only changed plugs, will be paying a macnic to fix any problems

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Oil on dip stick looks clean, radiator res not milky inside oil fill hole looks clean, that it thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Car
1/18/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the smoke smells like a sweet smell or coolant smell this can be due to an internal leak from a head gasket leaking internally to where it is only leaking to allow coolant into one or more cylinders.I have seen this occur before several times in the past and had to remove the cylinder head and have the head tested/checked by a machine shop to make sure it is o.k. and then replace the cylinder head gasket.

If it has a fuel smell to it ( the smoke ) then this can be one or more injectors stuck open or atomizing incorrectly causing this issue needing replaced.

This will have to be checked into further to locate which component is at fault here and then from there repaired.These are the most common causes of this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It smelled more like burning plastic or rubber, I didn't get a chance to inhale the smoke

O.k., that smell can indicate a coolant smell as well as it can smell like this once it starts to burn off in the exhaust.I have also seen on some models where the catalytic converter can start to plug up and causes excess smoke as well as rough running.I would have an exhaust back pressure test to see if this is the cause.Usually, you don't want to see a back pressure of 1.5 psi or more in the exhaust system.If you do then the catalytic converter needs replaced.But if it is o.k. this can be the head gasket leaking internally in the engine just leaking into the cylinders causing this.This won't show up as an external leak or fluids mixing with each other as instead, it can leak internally into the engine cylinders.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician