Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Sounds like an alarm that sounds when braking. No warning…

Sounds like an alarm...

Sounds like an alarm that sounds when braking. No warning lights come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I didnt mention lights. I hear an alarm type sound when braking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

Pulsar hatch, 2004.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pulsar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only bought it 2 weeks ago, mechanics say cant hear this sound.

Each time I brake for a sharp turn or bottom of a slope, what sounds like an alarm comes on, stops when brake is released.
Does not do this with normal gentle braking in traffic or stopping etc. Does it when negotiating a roundabout.
So, not all the time although today it very briefly sounded when driving. No warning lights come on.Sounds like a very
loud alarm or scream.
1/15/2018
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you also feel this in the brake pedal when this occurs this may be the abs engaging as it thinks one of the wheels is slipping on a slippery road surface which I have seen occur before.If the wheel speed sensor signals have not been checked or tested this needs to be done to see if any issues are found with a wheel speed sensor sending a false signal needing replaced.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician
Is this dangerous? Does it compromise the efficiency of my braking system? I am feeling nervous now about braking because I am not quite sure of the technical description given. The brakes seem to be working fine apart from this occasional scream.

I cannot say for sure if it is safe the way it is as I am unable to see the vehicle myself.I do recommend having this looked into further to locate and repair the fault.A shop or dealer may have to drive the vehicle off and on to then duplicate it so it can be diagnosed and repaired.But if you feel it in the brake pedal and if it is only a wheel speed sensor at fault you will still have normal power brakes you just won't have anti-lock brakes anymore and it can be driven like this but to be safe it is a good idea to have someone drive it that can duplicate the fault too then diagnose and repair it before driving it to much.

Thanks Pete