Australia Car

Australian car repair Issues? Ask an auto mechanic for answers ASAP

Cherokee 96 Ignition problem starts but snuffs out as soon…

Customer Question
Cherokee 96 Ignition problem...

Cherokee 96 Ignition problem starts but snuffs out as soon as the key is released. Can it be fixed (rewired/ or are parts required and from where do I get the right part?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothings talked to a parts supplier and he tells me to get a barrel and key assembly and the an auto mechanic tells me to make sure that the electrical part is on the end of it??

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Where can I get the parts locally Sunshine Coast

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Australia Car
1/9/2018
AU Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On an older model like this here usually, you would need to obtain the parts from a local parts store or in some cases a salvage yard.These are usually the only option.This can be a fault with the ignition cylinder or the electronic ignition switch itself.You would need to have this checked/tested further to locate which is the cause then repair it from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete